Knysna Voted 2nd best South African Tourist destination
Article below courtesy of Knysna Tourism
Friday, 27 March 2015 07:41 KNYSNA VOTED THE 2ND BEST DESTINATION BY TRIP ADVISOR TRAVELLERS
It came as no surprise to us when Knysna won a Traveller's Choice Award as #2 on the list of top destinations in South Africa!
With its fusion of diverse natural habitats, Knysna is a proverbial gem of a destination renowned for many things, and below is a just some of them!
• Knysna is built along the banks of a picture –postcard pretty estuary which supports an extraordinary web of life both above and beneath its surface and is the most celebrated in the country in terms of biodiversity. Because of this, Knysna was recently identified as an International Hope Spot. These are special places around the world which have been recognised as being critical to the health of the ocean as a whole. A hub of activity all year round, the estuary attracts both nature lovers and water sports enthusiast alike.
• To the north of Knysna lies the largest remaining tract of species rich, Afro-montane indigenous forest in South Africa, through which an extensive network of awesome hiking and biking trails run.
• The Greater Knysna area boasts kilometres of unspoilt beaches, including Blue Flag beaches and the pristine Goukamma Beach which lies within in a Marine Protected Area.
• Knysna is one of the best whale watching destinations in the country. During the winter, our indigo ocean depths could best be described as a whale highway, when hundreds of humpback and southern right whales skirt our coastline on their epic annual migration.
• Knysna is famous for its festivals and many thousands of visitors descend upon Knysna throughout the year to take part in them. We have the Knysna Oyster Festival, Pink Loerie Mardi Gras & Arts Festival, Slow Festival, Rastafarian Earth Festival to name but a few.
• Knysna has become a golfing mecca, offering three magnificent golf courses (Simola Golf Course, Pezula Champion Golf Course and Knysna Golf Course).
• Accommodation in this seductive town varies from township living, houseboats, tree-top cabins to five star luxury hotels.
• On the culinary front, Knysna's eclectic range of restaurants caters for many a different taste.